Teven Jenkins gives Bears an edge at right tackle - Chicago News Weekly

Friday, April 30, 2021

Teven Jenkins gives Bears an edge at right tackle

Oklahoma State 6-6, 320-pound offensive tackle Teven Jenkins (at his pro day on April 1 in Stillwater, Okla.), a former college teammate of Bears’ rookie tackle Arlington Hambright, could be the Bears’ first-round draft pick Thursday night.
Oklahoma State 6-5, 317-pound offensive tackle Teven Jenkins, the Bears’ second-round draft pick, was projected by some analysts to go to the Bears at No. 20. They got him at No. 39. | Sue Ogrocki/AP

The Bears traded up from 52nd to 39th in the second round for the Oklahoma State lineman known for a mean streak. “My edge to me is about being able to finish anybody in the dirt,” he said.

If Teven Jenkins is as good as his quote about his mean streak, the Bears have themselves a right tackle.

“My edge to me is about being able to finish anybody in the dirt,” said Jenkins, a 6-5, 317-pound offensive tackle from Oklahoma State and the Bears’ second-round (39th overall) draft pick. “I don’t care who you are lining up against me. I don’t care what you earn. I don’t care who you are, I’m going to attack you.

“I want to impose my will against another man and use that force against him until he gets worn out and tired. And I don’t care how long it takes. I’m going to do that 24/7 and I’m going to do that all game.”

The NFL has a way of dousing that youthful exuberance in a hurry, but until proven otherwise, Jenkins’ enthusiasm will carry him right into Halas Hall with high hopes of filling the Bears’ glaring opening at right tackle. While Jenkins also prides himself on his versatility — working on a left-handed stance last season and even taking snaps at center — it’s more likely the Topeka, Kan. native will be plugged into right tackle the first day he steps on the field and stay there.

That’s how big the hole is there after Bobby Massie was cut in the offseason. Veteran Germain Ifedi filled in after Massie suffered a knee injury in Week 8 against the Saints. But general manager Ryan Pace’s aggressive move to jump from 52nd to 39th in the second round of the draft Friday night to get Jenkins signaled the urgency of the matter. Jenkins was drafted to start as a rookie.

And Jenkins sounded eager for the opportunity and the challenge. Jenkins was rated the fourth-best tackle in this year’s draft by many scouts and many mock drafts had the Bears taking him at No. 20.

“One thing I’m definitely going to do is keep putting out the effort on and off the field,” Jenkins said. “[Being] more of a presence around the field, in the weight room on the practice [field] — everything I can do to get on the field as soon as I can. And … bring the attitude like I did at Oklahoma State and make sure I can prove a lot of people wrong and [prove] the Chicago Bears made the right choice with me.”

Jenkins, 23, was a three-year starter at Oklahoma State and did not allow a sack in the last two years. His NFL role model is the Titans’ three-time Pro Bowl tackle Taylor Lewan, “his nastiness, his athleticism and his consistency,” he said.

Jenkins said he met with coach Bears offensive line coach Juan Castillo, so he probably has a good idea of what is expected of him.

“I really have a great relationship with him,” Jenkins said. “I met with the scouting department and the head coach [Matt Nagy] and I feel like our relationship has grown a lot. I feel like he has a lot of trust in me and I want to make sure I prove him right.”



from Chicago Sun-Times - All https://ift.tt/3aSpKd8

No comments:

Post a Comment