Jimothy, the viral raccoon from Seattle, has been bestowed a high honor — as he should be.
The unique-looking king was announced as “Washingtonian of the Day” by Washington Governor Bob Ferguson on July 23. Jimothy, who wildlife experts say likely has a congenital spine condition, had gone viral after a July 14 video captured him roaming the streets.
Congratulations to Jimothy, Washingtonian of the Day. pic.twitter.com/FojaCgEvma
— Governor Bob Ferguson (@GovBobFerguson) July 23, 2026
“He’s really captured the hearts of people across our state, really across the country and even the world,” Ferguson said of Jimothy in a video shared on social media. “He’s been honored in so many ways. … There’s really only one more honor I think we can bestow upon Jimothy. And that is for me to make him the Washingtonian Of The Day.”
The award, an informal accolade, is typically given to a Washington resident who is considered inspiring to others, according to local NBC affiliate King 5.
Past award winners include Trudi Inslee, the former First Spouse of Washington state and wife of former Governor Jay Inslee, in 2024.
Ferguson said in his video that Jimothy has become a symbol of strength to so many.
“I think one of the reasons why he’s captured so much attention is he shows a certain resilience in getting by and even thriving, given that deformity,” Ferguson said.
The governor also mentioned that he is trying to get the special Washingtonian of the Day pin to the raccoon. But urged residents to “keep a respectful distance.”
Since the video of Jimothy hit the internet, the trash panda has exploded in popularity. The clip, which was shared on July 14, has already racked up more than 8.3 million views as of July 25.
Sports teams, businesses and more have adopted the critter as their unofficial mascots. The Seattle Mariners, for example, have begun to wear Jimothy-themed clothing during batting practice.
Individuals have also gotten Jimothy tattoos, painted Jimothy murals and created Jimothy-inspired fan art.
On July 26, Councilmember Alexis Mercedes Rinck is slated to celebrate the “majestic” raccoon with an official proclamation.
Kiana Hall, the 33-year-old marketing specialist who was the one to capture the little guy on camera, previously told TODAY.com that the sighted the critter while out on a walk with her husband. She initially thought that Jimothy, who was rustling around under a car, was a cat. But, she was mistaken.
“I was pretty surprised and confused because the body shape didn’t look like anything I was familiar with,” Hall told TODAY.com. “He turned around and I saw that masked pattern on the front of his face, and that’s when I realized he was a raccoon.”
Hall, who’s also responsible for giving the raccoon his noble name, said that the moniker truly just came to her.
“He just looked like a ‘Jimothy’ to me,” Hall says, laughing. “I don’t have any other explanation other than I looked at him and he looked like a ‘Jimothy.’”
This story first appeared on TODAY.com. More from TODAY:
- 8-Year-Old Girl Scout With Leukemia Turned a Children’s Hospital Into Her Cookie Booth
- ‘I Pooped on Myself in Costco.’ Pregnant NFL Wife Goes Viral for Hilarious ‘Accident’
- America Couldn’t Get Enough of These 3 Baby Names. Now Parents Won’t Touch Them
This story uses functionality that may not work in our app. Click here to open the story in your web browser.
from NBC Chicago https://ift.tt/1rJT96q
No comments:
Post a Comment